New cooperation agreement between Ukraine government and global engineering federation FIDIC will assist with the reconstruction of the country.
International engineering federation FIDIC (the International Federation of Consulting Engineers) has signed a five-year strategic cooperation agreement with the Ministry for Communities, Territories, and Infrastructure Development of Ukraine to assist with the reconstruction of the country and the reform of procurement and project implementation.
A memorandum of understanding signed by FIDIC and the ministry on 19 January 2024, in the presence of a representative of the World Bank, facilitates potential collaboration between the parties in a number of areas. These include the following: –
- The parties will explore use of FIDIC contracts and the FIDIC Golden Principles for the contractual management of infrastructure projects within the framework of joint IFI projects in Ukraine.
- Cooperation to increase the institutional potential of Ukraine regarding the implementation of joint IFI infrastructure projects.
- Collaboration to increase the potential of the internal market of professional engineering services and project management in Ukraine.
- Cooperate on the development of National Particular Conditions for use with FIDIC contracts for Ukraine in line with FIDIC rules and policies.
- Exploring opportunities for discussion, collaboration and exchange of best practice information between Ukraine infrastructure professionals and their international colleagues in line with FIDIC’s key values of quality, integrity and sustainability.
Commenting on the signing of the agreement, FIDIC CEO Dr Nelson Ogunshakin said: “The signing of this five-year agreement is a significant moment for FIDIC and we are delighted to be working with the Ministry for the Restoration of Ukraine and Ministry of Communities, Territories, and Infrastructure Development of Ukraine and assisting them in their work in reconstructing their damaged infrastructure and helping to provide a robust framework to enable them to do so, using the best available professional engineers and project management capability from Ukraine and internationally. We are also grateful to the World Bank for facilitating this important collaboration agreement, which will have a wider application for other multilateral development banks going forward.”
Speaking at the signing of the agreement, deputy prime minister for the restoration of Ukraine and minister for communities, territories and infrastructure development of Ukraine, Oleksandr Kubrakov, said: “We are delighted to be working with FIDIC and to have signed this agreement. We are grateful for FIDIC’s support to Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression and are confident that the exchange of information and expertise proposed as part of this agreement will assist Ukraine going forward and facilitate the provision of high-quality projects under IFI projects in Ukraine.”